“I can’t…I mean…You are Izuku’s reason for living. It’s not that I hate you or UA, it’s just…I want Izuku to be safe and happy. All Might, don’t give up your life. He needs you to protect him, raise him. If you can promise me you can do that, then he can return to UA.”
– Inko Midoriya, My Hero Academia (Ep. 50)
The Toonami Trending Rundown for May 18-19, 2019. It’s the calm after the memorable events last week and the calm before the storm of Attack on Titan’s return, as All Might is forced to retire as a superhero due to his ailing injuries, while Hayato lives through “Groundhog Day” as he tries to outmaneuver Kira’s upgraded stand, and Kirito and Eugeo attempt to capture and un-brainwash Alice, among other great moments.
On Twitter, Toonami would trend in the US alongside The Promised Neverland, Sword Art Online JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, and Hunter x Hunter. Black Clover, Boruto, and Shippuden would trend alongside these shows, but didn’t reach the top 30 trends outright. In addition, both SAO and JoJo’s also produced character trends with Kirito and Hayato respectively.
On tumblr, #Toonami would trend alongside The Promised Neverland and #JJBA. The full list including statistics and tweet counts from the twitter app and Amr Rahmy’s Fan Screening analytics app can be seen below.
This week, Toonami showcased the trailer for the return of Attack on Titan for the second half of Season 3. You can check it out below.
- Viz Media is producing a HD remaster of the InuYasha series, with the first set to be released in Fall 2019.
- Aniplex is also planning a second Blu-ray release of Sword Art Online II, which is scheduled for release on September 24. The set containing all 24 episodes of season 2 available to preorder at Rightstuf for $159.98. On that same note, Aniplex and Bang Zoom were also doing a talent search at Anime Central last week as they offered a future role in Sword Art Online to the prospective voice actor that impressed the judges the most. The winner of the open audition competition was Ryan Michael Burch.
So great seeing my student Ryan Burch grow as an actor the past couple of years! Congratulations. I'm sure there are many successes in your future. https://t.co/RsSzzOFi7o
— Sonny Strait (@sonnystrait) May 20, 2019
- Funimation will be releasing a limited edition set of Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 1 this upcoming August, which will include all 12 episodes including 130 minutes of special features and commentary and a 2 panel digibook and 4-koma comic. The set can be preordered from Funimation’s site for $63.74.
- Crunchyroll has released a new key visual for the newest arc of Black Clover, which just begun in the sub this week. We still got 32 weeks before we reach that point, so if you want to check it out, click here.
Next week, Toonami will be starting a half an hour earlier as My Hero Academia will start the block again at 10:30 pm ET and Attack on Titan will shift up to 11:30 pm to begin the 2nd half of Season 3. Every other show will continue airing in their regular scheduled timeslots for at least the next 3 weeks, as we’re coming down the final stretch with Diamond is Unbreakable.
In addition, Momocon is this weekend, and Toonami will be hosting a panel on Friday, so we might be seeing some news regarding Toonami this week. I won’t be there, but Paul and other members of the TF staff will be there to get you the insights of the events and breaking news that occur.
Until next week, stay gold as always.
Legend: The shows listed are ordered based on their appearance on the schedule. Show trends are listed in bold. The number next to the listed trend represents the highest it trended on the list (not counting the promoted trend), judging only by the images placed in the rundown. For the Twitter tweet counts, the listed number of tweets are also sorely based on the highest number shown based on the images on the rundown.
United States Trends:
- #Toonami [#11]
- #ThePromisedNeverland [#11]
- #SwordArtOnline [#26]
- #JoJosBizarreAdventure [#24]
- Hayato (From JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure) [#23]
- #BlackClover [Trended with #Toonami]
- #Boruto [Trended with #Toonami and #HunterXHunter]
- #Shippuden [Trended with #Toonami and #HunterXHunter]
- #HunterXHunter [#7]
- #Toonami [5,342 tweets]
- #DragonBallSuper [4,561 tweets]
- #MyHeroAcademia [3,040 tweets]
- #ThePromisedNeverland [3,738 tweets]
- #SwordArtOnline [1,851 tweets]
- Kirito (From Sword Art Online) [5,504 tweets]
- #JoJosBizarreAdventure [4,495 tweets]
- Hayato (From JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure) [11.6k tweets]
- #BlackClover [1,655 tweets]
- #Boruto [3,519 tweets]
- #HunterXHunter [1,104 tweets]
- #AttackOnTitan [1,195 tweets]
Fan Screening Counts:
- #DragonBallSuper [#4 with 3128 tweets]
- #MyHeroAcademia [#10 with 2516 tweets]
- #ThePromisedNeverland [#8 with 2639 tweets]
- #SwordArtOnline [#16 with 1297 tweets]
- #JoJosBizarreAdventure [#7 with 3209 tweets]
- #BlackClover [#19 with 1143 tweets]
- #Boruto [#15 with 2787 tweets]
- #HunterXHunter [#25 with 809 tweets]
- #AttackOnTitan [#25 with 1413 tweets]
- #The Promised Neverland
Notes and Other Statistics:
- #Toonami: @WhoTrendedIT reported that @shonenjump and @blumspew started the trend in the US.
- #ThePromisedNeverland: @WhoTrendedIT reported that @VIZMedia started the trend in the US.
- #SwordArtOnline: @WhoTrendedIT reported that @BangZoom started the trend in the US.
- #HunterXHunter: @WhoTrendedIT reported that @BandaiNamcoNO started the trend in the US.
Special thanks to @myanimewaifu and others I forgot to mention for spotting some of the trends on this list.
Only Toonami on [adult swim] on Cartoon Network.