“It’s no use, we can’t defeat him separately. He’s going to destroy the entire Earth, are you really going to let that happen? Vegeta, Buu has absorbed every person we’ve ever cared about. Krillin and Chi-Chi too. Even Bulma. Piccolo, my sons Gohan and Goten, and your boy Trunks, they’re all trapped in Majin Buu. They’re the reason for Buu’s power, you can’t fight him alone! If we lose, our friends and families died for nothing, is that what you want? To go out like countless victims just so you can keep nursing a foolish grudge? How do you want this to end, Vegeta?”
– Goku, Dragon Ball Z Kai (Ep. 153)
The Toonami Trending Rundown for March 3-4, 2018. Business as usual for the better cartoon show as Goku and Vegeta have to team up in an attempt to stop Buu, while McGillis unleashes his coup d’etat on the Gjallarhorn, and Gon and Killua try to get stronger after proving no match against Neferpitou, among other great moments.
On Twitter, every show successfully trended in some capacity during or after their respective East Coast airings. Meanwhile on Tumblr, Toonami would trend along with Dragon Ball Super and JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure (including JJBA).
Finally, after being off the list for 7 weeks, Dragon Ball Super would once again make the list of Nielsen Social’s top 5 most talked about shows on the day with an estimated 95k total interactions between users on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. This is the 44th time a Toonami show has made it onto Nielsen’s top 5 rankings since we started recording this feat and the 30th time for DBS.
This week, Toonami showcased a music video by The Armed titled “Role Models”, featuring Tommy Wiseau of The Room fame. You can check it out below.
Some of the notable Toonami related news from this week include:
- Some unfortunate news for Toonami fans in Southeast Asia, as due to flagging ratings and difficulty of getting new content, Toonami Asia will be shutting down at the end of March, with the Indian version also likely to follow suit. Production has also halted of the Bang Zoom dub of Super which was created for that market. While Turner Asia has noted that the Toonami brand may live on in some other form in the future, we send our commiserations to the fans in Asia for this unfortunate news.
- For those wanting to add season 2 of Attack on Titan to their Blu-Ray and DVD collections, FUNimation has just released a Blu-Ray and DVD combo pack of all 12 episodes of the season on their site and among major anime selling retailers with the regular edition for a $49.98 MSRP. A limited collectors edition is also available which also includes a Digibook as well as an artbook containing content from the franchise, which retails with a $84.98 MSRP.
- And for those who want to add the Universe 6 saga to their Dragon Ball Super Blu-ray and DVD collections, FUNimation has also released Part 3 of the collection with the Blu-ray retailing for $44.98 and the DVD retailing for $39.98.
- Looking into the potential future, it has been announced that Part V of Lupin the Third is set to premiere in Japanese television on Tuesday April 3rd, the same day Tokyo Ghoul:re premieres in Japan as well. For those that want to see the subbed version in advance, the new season of Lupin will be simulcasted on Crunchyroll and Hulu.
This Saturday will be the start of Daylight Savings, and as the clocks jump from 2 am to 3 (unless you’re in non-Navajo Arizona or Hawaii) as with previous years, no show on the block will be pre-empted, instead Outlaw Star and Space Dandy will move to the 3am EDT hour, while Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell airing at 4, with the block ending at 5. Of course, next week will be a big one for Outlaw Star as the show showcases its penultimate episode. Until then, see you next week as always.
Legend: The shows listed are ordered based on their appearance on the schedule. Show trends are listed in bold. The number next to the listed trend represents the highest it trended on the list (not counting the promoted trend), judging only by the images placed in the rundown. For the Twitter tweet counts, the listed number of tweets are also sorely based on the highest number shown based on the images on the rundown.
United States Trends:
- Toonami/#Toonami [#6]
- #DragonBallSuper [#6]
- #DBZKai [#6]
- #BlackClover [#9]
- #JoJosBizarreAdventure [#8]
- #GundamIBO [#6]
- #HunterXHunter [#6]
- #Shippuden [#]
- #OutlawStar [#5]
- #SpaceDandy [#8]
- #CowboyBebop [#6]
- #GhostInTheShell [#5]
- Toonami [6,339 tweets]
- #Toonami [3,128 tweets]
- #DBZKai [1,344 tweets]
- #JoJosBizarreAdventure [2,505 tweets]
- #GundamIBO [1,203 tweets]
- #HunterXHunter [3,155 tweets]
- #dragon ball super
- #jojo’s bizarre adventure
Notes and Other Statistics:
- #GundamIBO: @WhoTrendedIT reported that @KyleMcCarley started the trend in the US.
- #HunterXHunter: @WhoTrendedIT reported that @BrittanyLaudaVO and @DC_Douglas started the trend in the US.
- #CowboyBebop: @WhoTrendedIT reported that @MaryEMcGlynn started the trend in the US.
Special thanks to @JMB_70056, @myanimewaifu and others I forgot to mention for spotting some of the trends on this list.
YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, LISA! Only Toonami on [adult swim] on Cartoon Network.