“Vegeta, what does the scouter say about [Goku’s] power level?!”
– Nappa, Dragon Ball Z Kai (Ep. 12)
“It’s Over 8000, ugh!”
– Vegeta, Dragon Ball Z Kai (Ep. 12)
The Toonami Trending Rundown for February 21-22, 2015. It’s always a great night in the Absolution when Toonami ramps it up to over 9000 (or rather, over 8000) levels. In terms of shows, only #DBZKai (during the encore showing) and Kill la Kill trended in the US. In terms of content within said shows, every show but Naruto and Deadman managed to produce at least one of such trends.
DBZ brought us Dragon Soul, as we were treated to it’s full Opening for the first time on the block; Gohan and Piccolo, as Piccolo shields Gohan from a blast from Nappa, but at the cost of his own life; and of course Nappa and Over 8000, as Goku arrives at the scene to avenge his friends and Vegeta learns from his scouter that Goku has become a lot more stronger (to say nothing about the famous over 9000 meme). Kill la Kill brought us Satsuki, as she unveils her Kamui, Junketsu, as well as Mako and Ryuko, as Senketsu unveils that having “body shame” cannot unlock a Kamui’s full potential, and Mako attempts to help her out, so to speak. InuYasha brings us Kanna and Naraku, as Naraku forces Kanna to self destruct in order to defeat InuYasha in vein, while Kanna sends a message to Kagome on Kikyo’s glimmer within the shard. Gurren Lagann brought us Rossiu, as he attempts to repent his mistakes by committing suicide, but is stopped by Simon and Kinon. And One Piece brings us Franky, as he knocks out Fukuro, as well as Zoro and Sniper King, as they devise a plan to counterattack Kaku and Jabra.
For those that haven’t heard, Adult Swim will begin rerunning the previous week’s episode of DBZ Kai every Saturday at 8pm Eastern, with of course the new episode airing later in it’s regular Toonami timeslot at midnight. What Adult Swim plans to do with this encore showing is unknown, but I personally think it’s a great idea to help spread more awareness of Toonami to more people, and i definitely suggest you support it at the very least to showcase to the network that there can be so much more potential for Toonami and anime as a whole.
In the meantime, both Gurren Lagann and Deadman Wonderland are coming down the stretch, with their respective finales just four weeks away, which also means that the return of Sword Art Online is just 5 weeks away, and you don’t want to miss this. Until next week, stay gold as always.
Legend: The shows listed are ordered based on their appearance on the schedule. Show trends are listed in bold. The number next to the listed trend represents the highest it trended on the list (not counting the promoted trend), judging only by the images placed in the rundown. For the mobile app trends, the listed number of tweets are also sorely based on the highest number shown based on the images on the rundown.
United States Trends:
- #DBZKai [#5]
- Dragon Soul (From DBZ Kai) [#7]
- Gohan (From DBZ Kai) [#9]
- Nappa (From DBZ Kai) [#10]
- Piccolo (From DBZ Kai) [#6]
- Over 8000 (From DBZ Kai) [#3]
- Kill la Kill [#9]
- Mako (From Kill la Kill) [#9]
- Ryuko (From Kill la Kill) [#10]
- Satsuki (From Kill la Kill) [#3]
- Kanna (From InuYasha) [#7]
- Naraku (From InuYasha) [#7]
- Rossiu (From Gurren Lagann) [#6]
- Franky (From One Piece) [#7]
- Sniper King (From One Piece) [#8]
- Zoro (From One Piece) [#6]
- Dragon Soul (From DBZ Kai) [#9]
- Over 8000 (From DBZ Kai) [#8]
- Franky (From One Piece) [#9]
- Sniper King (From One Piece) [#7]
- Zoro (From One Piece) [#4]
Mobile App Tweet Counts:
- Mako (From Kill la Kill) [25.6k tweets]
- Satsuki (From Kill la Kill) [12.7k tweets]
- Naruto [65.2k tweets]
- Kanna (From InuYasha) [17k tweets]
- #Dragon Ball Z
Notes and Other Statistics:
- Dragon Soul (From DBZ Kai): @trendinaliaUS reported that @Splosia started the trend while 169 users and 204 tweets (83 RTs) in 1 week made ‘Dragon Soul’ a Trending Topic in the United States and 180,156 people could have seen ‘Dragon Soul’ since its 1st mention until it became a Trending Topic.
- Over 8000 (From DBZ Kai): @trendinaliaUS reported that 350 users and 373 tweets (286 RTs) in 1 week made ‘Over 8000’ a Trending Topic in the United States and 676,917 people could have seen ‘Over 8000’ since its 1st mention until it became a Trending Topic.
Special thanks to @JMB_70056, @JpopJams, @myanimewaifu, and others I forgot to mention for spotting some of the trends on this list.
Edit @ 2/23 @ 2pm PDT: Got word of Naruto having a tweet count. Thanks to @myanimewaifu and @PaulPescrillo for the heads up.
What, 8000?! Only Toonami on [adult swim] on Cartoon Network.