“You are not a human being, Rin. You are the son of a demon born by a human. And not just any demon. The demon of all demons. You are the offspring of Satan.”
– Shiro Fujimoto, Blue Exorcist (Episode 01)
The Toonami Trending Rundown for February 22-23, 2014. We kick off the first of 25 weeks of Blue Exorcist’s run as every show with the exception of Ghost In The Shell, IGPX, and Star Wars TCW trended in the US, while Space Dandy and Blue Exorcist also trended worldwide. In addition, both Space Dandy and Blue Exorcist also trended during their respective west coast airings as well.
We also got some special trends from Space Dandy, One Piece, Blue Exorcist, and Soul Eater, with Viva Namida (as Toonami got the rights to begin airing Space Dandy’s Japanese Opening), Luffy (as everyone thinks he rushed in to Iceberg’s mansion, only to find himself stuck between two buildings on the way), Lord Death (as he duels with Ashura, but ultimately loses as he protects Kidd from being shot at by him), and of course, to make sure Blue Exorcist kicks things off with a bang, Rin (as he basically finds out that he is the decendent of Satan). In addition, after a few commercials during the block of Hayao Miyazaki’s newest and possibly final film, The Wind Rises also trended in the US.
Overall, I’d say it was a good night for both Toonami and anime, especially considering that UFC 170 and the finale of the Winter Olympics, among other events was happening at the same time. Blue Exorcist sure had a lot of shoes to fill with the buzz Sword Art Online generated, love it or hate it, but things are looking good so far in that regard, and that’s a good sign in regards to Toonami’s continuing overall growth. Let’s hope now that the Nielsen ratings will follow and the social media buzz continues. And of course, the party’s not over yet, as Soul Eater will be reaching it’s finale and Black Lagoon will make it’s premiere within the next few weeks. Things sure will be heating up.
Other than that, see you again next week for another round of the better cartoon show. Later.
Legend: The number next to the listed trend represents the highest it trended on the list (not counting the promoted trend), judging only by the images placed in the rundown. For the mobile app trends, the listed number of tweets are also sorely based on the highest number shown based on the images on the rundown.
- Toonami/#Toonami (During Naruto Shippuden, One Piece, Ghost In The Shell, FMA Brotherhood, Samurai Jack, IGPX, Star Wars TCW, and InuYasha) [#2]
- The Wind Rises (During One Piece) [#9]
- #SpaceDandy (Also trended during it’s West Coast airing) [#4]
- #Bleach [#4]
- #NarutoShippuden [#2]
- #OnePiece [#3]
- Luffy (From One Piece) [#8]
- #BlueExorcist (Also trended during it’s West Coast airing) [#1]
- Rin (From Blue Exorcist) [#6]
- #SoulEater [#1]
- Lord Death (From Soul Eater) [#3]
- #Naruto [#2]
- #FMABrotherhood [#3]
- #SamuraiJack [#3]
- #InuYasha [#2]
- #SpaceDandy [#5]
- Viva Namida (From Space Dandy) [#7]
- #BlueExorcist [#1]
- Rin (From Blue Exorcist) [#9]
- Lord Death (From Soul Eater) [#7]
Mobile App Trends:
- Toonami/#Toonami (During Naruto Shippuden, Naruto, Ghost in the Shell, FMA Brotherhood, Star Wars TCW, and InuYasha) [#6 with 11.4k Tweets]
- #SpaceDandy (Also trended during it’s West Coast airing) [#3. Tweet Count Unknown]
- #Naruto Shippuden [#2. Tweet Count Unknown]
- #One Piece [#7. Tweet Count Unknown]
- #Blue Exorcist (Also trended during it’s West Coast airing) [#1. Tweet Count Unknown]
- Rin (From Blue Exorcist) [#6 with 154.1k Tweets]
- #SoulEater [#4. Tweet Count Unknown]
- Lord Death (From Soul Eater) [#7. Tweet Count Unknown]
- #Naruto [#3. Tweet Count Unknown]
- #FMABrotherhood [#2. Tweet Count Unknown]
Special thanks to @Andy_Salcedo, @Cement3000, @DatDamnPR, @JpopJams, @KiddBlast90, @MykeJinX89, @TheNextHokage, and others I forgot to mention for spotting some of the trends on this list.
It’s Devil-Smackin’ Time. Only Toonami on [adult swim] on Cartoon Network.